Golf Cart Ordinance
Definition of Golf Cart.
Pursuant to Section 320.01(22), Florida Statutes, a "golf cart" is defined as a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operations on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour.
Restriction to Golf Cart Modifications.
All golf carts operated within the City of Mexico Beach shall meet the minimum equipment standards established by Florida State Statutes and have no increased power, wheel base or tire modifications from a standard manufactured gas or electric golf cart. Speed modified golf carts or "hybrid" golf carts are not authorized for use on City of Mexico Beach streets.
Authorization to Operate Golf Carts within the City of Mexico Beach.
Golf carts meeting the definition set forth above and properly equipped meeting restrictions above, may be operated on those streets designated for cart usage.
a. Permitted Designated Streets1. All city streets located within the jurisdiction of the City of Mexico Beach, except 15th Street and State Route 30, commonly known as US Highway 98.
2. All city streets located within subdivisions which traffic is enforceable providing they are approved for use by the subdivisions Homeowners Association and a written agreement has been entered with the City of Mexico Beach for traffic enforcement on subdivision streets. Any notice to rescind this use will be providing in writing.
b. Non-permitted Streets.
1. Golf carts will not be permitted to use on 15th Street, US Highway 98 (SR 30). Golf carts may be permitted to cross 15th Street at the following intersections only: 5th Street, 7th Street, Robin Lane, and Wysong Lane. Crossing at the permitted intersections shall occur while obeying traffic laws and yielding right of way to other vehicular traffic. No golf carts are permitted to cross Highway 98 (SR 30).
2. No golf cart is permitted along the right of way of 15th Street or US Highway 98 (SR30).
3. No golf cart is permitted to ride on private property except that property owned by the same individual as the golf cart or without written consent of the owner. If the owner is present on property where a golf cart is being used, they are permitted to give verbal consent.
c. The City of Mexico Beach shall provide signage designating streets or other areas where golf carts may be operated.
d. Violations of this section may be cited using the code enforcement citation. Fines for violation shall be $50.00. Failure to pay citation shall result in registration of the golf cart permit to be revoked until fine is paid, and the violator may be found in civil contempt.
Hours of Operation.
Golf carts will only be permitted on City streets from daylight hours. Golf carts are not permitted for operation on city streets during darkness. During times of fog, smoke, rain, and low light conditions golf carts must be equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield. The City of Mexico Beach strongly recommends placement of reflective devices or reflective tape on the sides of all golf carts. Violations of this section may be cited using the code enforcement citation. Fines for violation shall be $50.00. Failure to pay citation shall result in registration of the golf cart permit to be revoked until fine is paid, and the violator may be found in civil contempt.
Compliance with Traffic Laws.
Golf carts shall comply with all applicable local and state traffic laws, and may be cited for traffic violations in the same manner as motor vehicles. Drivers of such golf carts must have a valid driver license.
Golf Cart Registration
All golf carts operated on City of Mexico Beach streets must first be registered through the Mexico Beach Department of Public Safety. Registration must be made by the owner who is at least 18 years of age. The owner will be charged an annual registration fee of $ 15.00. There will be no prorated registrations. Funds from the registration fees will support costs of street designation signs, police inspection of golf carts, and registration stickers, which are to be placed on the driver side rear fender area of the golf cart. All registrations must be renewed annually during January. Owners re-registering after January 31st of each year will be considered expired until they re-register and shall not be permitted for to use such golf cart(s) on designated city streets.
a. Driving a golf cart without current registration:1. First Offense: $50.00
2. Second Offense: $75.00
3. Third Offense: $150.00, registration revoked for 1 year
b. Driving a golf cart with registration revoked shall result in a fine of $250.00, and permanent revocation of registration by owner for any golf carts. If fines are paid within ten days of issuance, owner may register the golf cart at no additional costs. If the fines are paid after ten days, the owner must pay the fine and the registration costs. If the fines are not paid within 30 days if issuance, the city may seek an Order to Show Cause from a judge, and the violator may be found in civil contempt, to enforce this ordinance.
A list of all golf cart registrations shall be maintained by the Mexico Beach Department of Public Safety.
Low Speed Vehicles
Low speed vehicles can be driven on US Highway 98 in Mexico Beach with the following restrictions:
- Allowed where the maximum speed is 35 MPH (most of Hwy 98 in Mexico Beach is 35 MPH).
Tagged (licensed) and registered.
Brake lights (stop lights).
Vehicle identification numbers.
Operator must have a valid driver's license.